A G Richardson and Co Ltd
Crown Ducal


Location and period of operation:

A G Richardson and Co Ltd








A G Richardson & Co Ltd, earthenware manufacturers in Tunstall, then Cobridge, Stoke-on-Trent, England

  • The business was founded in 1915 by Albert G. Richardson at the Gordon Pottery, Tunstall (1915-c.1960), business was sucessful and the works were extended. 

  • The business used the trade name 'Crown Ducal'. 

  • W. B. Johnson was the art director, who had been at Richardson since 1917. His work 'appears to have been fairly conventional, consiting for the most part of run-of-the-mill floral designs. Although he did not retire until 1937, he worked mainly as the decorating shop manager at the Gordon Pottery' 

  • In 1921 the first notable landmark in their progress was the introduction of aerographed, plain coloured tea wares, from which they went on to develop a high class trade in dinner and other table wares of the same type.

  • In 1929 they developed the 'Arcadian Glazes' which were displayed in the London showrooms of Green Bros. and Edis. The showrooms were at 46, Holborn Viaduct. E.C.1, London. (Pottery Gazette October 1929).

  • The ceramic designer Charlotte Rhead joined A. J. Richardson in 1932, her designs for Richardson included Byzantine, Foxglove and Wisteria. Rhead left the business around 1941/2.

  • The business continued to grow and in 1933 the Britannia Pottery, Cobridge was acquired, it was redesigned and expanded and opened for manufacturer in 1934. At the time it was considered a model factory. Circular in plan, all departments being on one floor, except the moulding shop, a maximum of production with a minimum of effort was achieved.

  • A G Richardson remained open during the Second World War under the Wartime Concentration Scheme - they were permitted to produce undecorated domestic ware. They also produced canteen ware for the British armed forces

  • Around 1942 the Gordon Pottery was closed as part of the manufacturing consolidation in World War II. After the war the works opened again and continued operation, probably, until around 1960. 

  • In 1947 and in 1960 the Managing Director was listed as Mr. G. J. McFarlane

  • By 1956 Crown Ducal wares include also breakfast, coffee, morning and dessert sets, as well as a range of 'fancies'.

  • In 1974 the business was sold to Enoch Wedgwood (Tunstall) Ltd and was subsequently closed. 

 see 1956 article on A G Richardson & Co Ltd


NOTE: There was also an associate company - Albert G Richardson  
at the Regal Pottery in Cobridge from 1920-21.



A. G. Richardson & Co., Ltd
Gordon Pottery, Tunstall
Manufacturers of Crown Ducal Ware

advert from the 1917 Pottery Gazette Diary



Crown Ducal Ware
A. G. Richardson & Co., Ltd
Britannia Pottery, Cobridge, Stoke-on-Trent

advert from the August 1956 Pottery Gazette & Glass Trade Review




hand decorated pot with an incised design 

Crown Ducal 



vase in a Chinese Lanterns design

the registration number shows that 
the pattern was registered in 1924 



the Orange Tree pattern was a popular line 



hand painted cake/sandwich stand 




a trio in the Sunburst pattern

the registration numbers show that the shape and the pattern were all registered in 1933 



vase in the tube lined Byzantine pattern
designed by Charlotte Rhead

facsimile Charlotte Rhead signature



 Marks and initials used on ware for identification:


(note: these initials were also used by the associate comapany 
Albert G Richardson of the Regal Pottery, Cobridge)



Crown Ducal Ware
Trade Mark
A.G.R & Co Ltd

this mark appears in a 1917 directory and so was likely used from the foundation of the company in 1915 

Crown Ducal Ware
Trade Mark
Made in England

Crown Ducal Ware
Trade Mark
Made in England

Marks with and without the initials A.G.R.



Crown Ducal 


the registration number 711270 dates to 1925 
and is the date this mark was registered 

Crown Ducal 


the registration number 749657 dates to 1929 
and is the date this mark was registered 

Gainsborough was not a specific pattern or shape
it appears to have been an additional trade name
applied to a wide range of ware


Old Hall
Ivory Ware


NOTE: There was manufacturer 'Old Hall Porcelain Works Ltd'
who used a mark with Old Hall - there is no relationship
between the two companies.


Crown Ducal 
Made in England

Crown Ducal 
Made in England

'Norvic Citrus' is the pattern name

general marks - probably introduced in the 1930s



A G Richardson & Co Ltd 

The mark shown indicates that the ware was produced for and supplied to the British Government; it was ultimately property of the Crown/Government, hence the GR-VI Cypher.

This mark is there to distinguish the piece from being normal ‘utilitarian’ ware for public sale during the period surrounding the Second World War. 

A G Richardson (and others) were given government contracts throughout the late 1930s and into the 1940s (WWII) and produced canteen ware - most likely for the armed services.

The year of manufacturer is generally included.




The Gordon Pottery, Tunstall

- click for information on the Gordon Pottery -

The business was founded in 1915 by Albert G. Richardson at the Gordon Pottery, Tunstall, business was sucessful and the works were extended. 

Around 1942 the Gordon Pottery was closed as part of the manufacturing consolidation in World War II. After the war the works opened again and continued operation until around 1960. 

Manufacturing continued at the Britannia Pottery, Cobridge, until 1974.



The Britannia Pottery, Cobridge


A. G. Richardson's Britannia Pottery

November 1963 

photo: Mr Bert Bentley
Stoke-on-Trent Archives

Staffordshire Past Track


A G Richardson's Britannia Pottery stood at the junction of North Road and Leek New Road in Cobridge. Behind the works is the spoil tip of Sneyd Colliery (now Sneyd Hill Park). The office building still stands at the entrance of Britannia Park, a small industrial estate. 

Richardson & Co Ltd manufactured earthenware and their best known range was called Crown Ducal. Crown Ducal ware was mainly table ware, but also a range of 'fancies'. They moved from Tunstall to the newly acquired Britannia Pottery in 1934. It was a "model factory" with production organised on one leve, whereas many traditional potworks involved moving materials and ware between floors. The company became part of Enoch Wedgwood in 1974 and was subsequently closed. The works, ovens and chimneys have been demolished. 


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks