Thomas G. Booth
Location and period of operation:
Thomas Gimbert Booth
Earthenware and ironstone manufacturer at the Church (Bank) works in the High Street, Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent
An 1880 advert reads: "manufacturer of earthenware, also best ironstone china for hotels' and ships' use, suitable for home, foreign and colonial markets"
Thomas Booth (the founder of the business) had died in 1872 and his son Thomas Gimbert Booth took over the business on his own account. The title became Thomas Booth & Son
In 1876 the business was renamed to Thomas Gimbert Booth
By 1881 the factory employed 50 Men, 60 Boys, 15 Women, and 30 Girls
In 1883 Thomas Gimbert's brother Frederick also joined the business which became T G & F Booth
Formerly Thomas Booth & Son
Subsequently T. G. & F. Booth
Thomas Gimbert Booth
The Pottery Gazette, 1st July 1880
green transferware plate in the Indian Ornament pattern
Cup and saucer in the JAPAN pattern
tureen, lid and base in the CHAIN pattern
bowl in the popular MADRAS pattern
the pattern was first registered on 14 August 1872
by Thomas Booth & Co
Marks & initials used on ware for identification:
T G B
'Indian Ornament' is the pattern name
'JAPAN' is the pattern name
'MADRAS' is the pattern name
this and other patterns were produced by previous
and subsequent BOOTH companies
the registration diamond gives a date of registration
of the pattern as 14 August 1872
'CHAIN' is the pattern name
- click the map for more information on the Church Bank Works -
Thomas Gimbert Booth, born in June 1850, was the son of Thomas Booth who was a pottery manufacturer, of
Knowles Works, Burslem in 1864 and of Church Bank Works about 1870.
Thomas Gimbert Booth succeeded his father about 1876 and for a short time was in partnership with his brother Fred as T G & F Booth.
The business was registered as a limited company about 1898, and Thomas acted as Managing Director until 1904 then as Chairman. The firms produced good quality earthenware and became famous for its Royal Semi Porcelain, Silicon China and in the 20th century for its reproduction, in opaque earthenware, of 18th century Worcester porcelain.
The factory employed 50 Men, 60 Boys, 15 Women, and 30 Girls in 1881. The firm continued until the1940's when it became Booth's and Colcloughs.
Thomas Gimbert Booth was elected to the Tunstall Local Board of Health in 1882 and served as chief
bailiff from 1886-90. He supported the idea of a separate Potteries county and was one of Tunstall's first representatives on Staffordshire county council in 1889. His portrait, by John Nash Peake, hung in the council chamber. He was a churchman, a Conservative and bred racehorses.
He lived in Wolstanton, then at Bradwell Lodge, Porthill, at May Bank Cottage in 1881, for some time after 1904 in Wellington, Shropshire and for the last six months of his life at Grace Dieu, 17 Knowsley Road, Southport, where he died on 17 September 1907 leaving a widow, Eliza.
SOURCES: Census 1881, Dir. 1907; Staffs. Sentinel 7 October 1907 (obit.); People of the Potteries; Jewitt.
Dwelling: May Bank Cottage
Census Place: Wolstanton, Staffordshire, England
Marr | Age | Sex
|Thomas G. BOOTH||M 30 M||Head||Tunstall||Earthenware Manufacturer Employing 50 Men 60 Boys 15 Women 30 Girls|
|Eliza BOOTH||M 31 F||Wife||Liverpool|
|Lizzie BURGESS||U 18 F||Cousin||Burslem|
|Sarah GLOVER||U 35 F||Serv||Burslem|
|Emiley BURGESS||U 19 F||Cousin||Norbury, Shropshire|
Questions/comments/contributions: email: Steve Birks