Pinder, Bourne & Hope 






 

Location and period of operation:

Pinder, Bourne & Hope

Burslem

1851

Jan 1862

 

Earthenware manufacturer at Fountain Place (c.1851-1860) and also at Nile Street (1860 to Jan 1862), Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, England.
  • The partners were Thomas Pinder, Joseph Harvey Bourne and John Hope. 

  • The partnership was dissolved in January 1862. Thomas Pinder, Joseph Harvey Bourne continued at the Nile Street Works as Pinder, Bourne & Co and John Hope was joined by a John Carter and they continued as Hope and Carter at the Fountain Place Works. 

 

Previously: Thomas Pinder (c1848-1851)

Subsequently: Pinder, Bourne & Co (Jan 1862 to 1882) and  Hope & Carter (Jan 1862 to 1880)

 


 

Selected by the Committee for the Staffordshire Potteries 
to exhibit at the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1855

 

 


London Gazette, January 14, 1862

notice of the dissolution of the partnership of Pinder, Bourne and Hope on the 13th January 1862

Thomas Pinder and Joseph Harvey Bourne continued at the Nile Street Works as Pinder, Bourne & Co

John Hope was joined in partnership with John Carter and they continued at the Fountain Place Works as Hope & Carter

 

 


 

Plate by Pinder, Bourne & Hope in the Dresden pattern 
platter by Pinder, Bourne & Hope in the Dresden pattern - polychrome

 


 


plate in the Dresden pattern - blue monochrome

 


 

 
plate in the Venice pattern 

 


 


pink & white transferware bowl depicting the Crystal Palace built for the 1851 Great Exhibition
the border depicts symbols for industry, engineering, and music.
The Crystal Palace was built for the Great Exhibition of 1851. Held in Hyde Park, London. This was planned as the first international event of its kind to exhibit the 'Works of Industry of all Nations'

Wikipedia article of the Great Exhibition


Crystal Palace
P.B. & H

Ware with an engraving of the Cystal Palace was also made by the North Staffordshire potter T Godwin and the Glasgow potters J. & M. P. Bell and Robert Cochran & Co.

 

photos courtesy:  Donatella Vinotti


 

  
platter in the HINDOSTAN pattern 

photos courtesy:  Gillian Pierce


 

variation of the basic Hindostan pattern which was a popular pattern of Pinder, Bourne & Hope 
which they produced in monochrome blue as well as hand coloured variants.

'Hindostan' was also used as a pattern name by Minton & Co and Dunn, Bennett & Co

the Victorians were facinated by all things 'oriental' - the use of the name Hindostan
 reflects this as it was a name used for 'Colonial India'  

Wikipedia article

 


 


Marks & initials used on ware for identification:

P. B. & H.

 

PINDER BOURNE
& HOPE


 

    
P B & H

Typical marks  of
Pinder, Bourne & Hope

'DRESDEN' and 'VENICE' are pattern names



SCROLL 
P B & H

'SCROLL' is the pattern name

 



IMPERIAL 
WHITE GRANITE 
P.B. & H.

mark with the US eagle and shield
use on ware produced for the American Market

 


 


1851 map of the Nile Street Works

- click for more information 

 


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks