Waterloo Works, Longton

This area was originally called Lane End - Originally Longton and Lane End were two separate and contiguous townships which were incorporated in the of Borough of Longton in 1865.  

Located at Flint Street - which was a continuation of Stafford Street. (in the early 1950's Stafford Street was renamed The Strand)

- click for more on the Waterloo Works 

 

From To Occupier Comments
1815 1822 Batkin and Deakin The Waterloo Pottery in Flint Street, off Stafford Street, was opened in 1815 by Batkin and Deakin who were still working there in 1822.
  1822 1828 Batkin, Dale & Deakin
 1828 1832 Deakin and Bailey The partners were James Deakin and John Bailey
1833 1863 Deakin & Son The partners were James Deakin (father) and John Deakin (son). The business was titled: Deakin & Son, James Deakin & Son, James Deakin & Co
c. 1864 May 1865 Wayte & Ridge
c. 1864 c. 1869 Lowe & Abberley Around 1864 to 1869 it was held by Lowe and Abberley
early 1870's   James Abberley and in the early 1870's first by James Abberley
1870's c. 1895 Brough & Blackhurst and then by Brough and Blackhurst, makers of earthenware, who were still there in 1895.
c. 1897 c. 1915 Royal Art Pottery Company
1961  1969 Clough's Royal Art Pottery

SOURCES: Victoria History of the County of Stafford Vol. VIII, Henrywood - Staffordshire Potters 1781-1900

 

"Waterloo Works - built in Stafford Street [Longton] in 1815, the year of the Battle of Waterloo, and in honour of that event named the Waterloo Works.
At these works, which were large and commodious, were produced by Brough & Blackhurst the ordinary classes of earthenware, enamelled and gilt service and the like, suitable both for the home and foreign markets.
Messrs. Brough & Blackhurst worked the Waterloo pottery from 1872 to 1895."

Jewitt - 'Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900'

 


1847 OS map showing the Waterloo Works 

 


- click for more on the Waterloo Works 


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks