Upper Hanley Works, Hanley
|The Upper Hanley Works were occupied by a succession of short lived companies with changing partners.|
|1850||1858||Marple, Turner & Co||The partners were
John Marple, George Wardle Turner, William Ellis and John Tomkinson - the
partnership was dissolved on 24th December 1858.
John Marple and William Ellis continued at the Upper Hanley Works. Turner & Tomkinson moved to the Victoria Works in Tunstall.
|1859||1860||Marple, Ellis & Co||This partnership was short lived - John Marple left the business in 1860|
|1860||1861||Ellis, Unwin & Mountford||The
partners were William Ellis, Ralph Unwin and John Mountford.
c.1861 Edwin Thomas Taylor joined the company and it was re-named Ellis, Unwin, Mountford & Taylor.
|1861||1862||Ellis, Unwin, Mountford & Taylor||In July 1862 William Ellis left the business which became Unwin, Mountford & Taylor|
|1862||1864||Unwin, Mountford & Taylor||The
partners were Ralph Unwin, John Mountford and Edwin Thomas Taylor.
In October 1862 Edwin Thomas Taylor retired from the business and William Taylor joined as a partner.
The partnership was dissolved on the 31st December 1864. Ralph Unwin continued the business as Unwin, Holmes & Worthington.
|1865||1867||Unwin, Holmes & Worthington||The
partners were Ralph Unwin, Charles Holmes and Thomas Worthington.
2nd September 1876 the partnership was dissolved when Worthington resigned. The business continued as Unwin & Holmes
|1867||1873||Unwin & Holmes||The
partners were Ralph Unwin and Charles Holmes.
The partnership was dissolved on the 28th January 1873 when Unwin resigned. - the business then continued as Holmes, Stonier & Hollinshead
|1875||1882||Holmes, Stonier & Hollinshead||"In 1875, Messrs.
Hollinshead & Stonier, at that time of the Ranelagh Works, were joined
in partnership by Mr Homes and removed to this (Upper Hanley Works) in the
High Street, where they carried on business under the style of Holmes,
Stonier & Hollinshead." Jewitt's Ceramic Art of Great Britain.
The partners were Charles Holmes, John Stonier and John Hollinshead - in 1882 they were declared bankrupt.
|1882||1888||Stonier, Hollinshead & Oliver||The partners were John Stonier, John Hollinshead and Mr Oliver.|
|1888||1894||Stonier, Hollinshead & Co||The principle partners were John Stonier and John Hollinshead with Edward John Stonier. In November 1892 a notice was made for Bankruptcy proceedings. Trustees were released 1st June 1894.|
|c.1895||1902||Upper Hanley Pottery||In 1902 the Upper Hanley Pottery Co (Ltd) moved to the Brownfield's Works in Cobridge.|
The Upper Hanley Works were extended and renamed the Britannic Pottery
|1902||1926||Dudson, Wilcox & Till Ltd|
Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks